I had purchased several t-shirts for a benefit run by our local VFW over the years.  I decided to make a quilt for the benefit using the previous year’s t-shirts as the basis.  Each t-shirt had two design faces so that enabled me to have 8 panels.  I found  additional t-shirts of a patriotic theme so that I would have an even number (12).  This quilt was a personal size quilt (or maybe it would fit a twin size bed).

I cut out the panels in 12″x12″ squares.  In order to strengthen the fabric, I used some iron-on stabilizer.  I laid the pattern out in 3 panels across and 4 panels down.  For one of the extra panels, I had to manufacture.  I was trying to keep my additional colors to either a black or blue background.  The only other suitable panel I found was on a white t-shirt.  So, I cut out & glued the white part I cut out onto one of the black t-shirt backs & stitched some rick-rack around the edge to cover the white border.  I thought it came out pretty good.

 

DSCF2229
DSCF2235

I used the edges of the backing as the binding.  I quilted it & then cut & folded the sides to make the binding.